The Federal Government on Friday alleged that the presidential candidate of the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar played a role in the collapse of former Platinum Habib Bank, otherwise known as Bank PHB.
Addressing State House correspondents, the Minister for Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, revealed that Mr. Abubakar is now under investigation “following fresh evidence that he benefitted from slush funds that led to the collapse of Bank PHB”.
Specifically, Mr Mohammed stated that the Federal Government is in possession of ample evidence indicating that the former number two citizen benefitted from a slush loan to the tune of N156 million. Apart from having proofs of the account mandate, the Minister said investigations into banking instruments like cheques used for operating the account in question confirm that the former Vice President was the signatory to the account in the name of Claremont Management Services.
According to Mohammed, “It started from an internal memo dated 13 January 2009 asking that a draft of 156 million Naira should be raised in favour of Atiku Abubakar“. Adding that another memo was raised, indicating that the draft in the said sum had been raised in Atiku’s name.
While maintaining that Alhaji Atiku Abubakar would be invited for clarifications on the matter when he returns from his unannounced trip to the United States, the Minister however clarified the allegation does not mean that he (Abubakar) would be arrested on his return.
1,176 total views, 4 views today